Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Mighty Sparrow

I have enjoyed writing  Holly's CaringBridge site and will continue to do so around scan times but I also feel the need to move on to other adventures.

Some of my favorite Bible passages talk about sparrows.  Matthew 10: 29-31 29Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Quite often  the sparrow is taken for granted – small though she may be, she is certainly powerful.  It is her slightness in size that gives her advantages.  She reminds us we do not need to have the big stuff (cars, house, etc.) to be important, and we do not have to have the loudest voice in order be heard.

Sparrows derive power from their numbers.  Always in a clan, they move in clusters, eat in clusters, and are always content as such.  This can be quite intimidating to some would-be predators.  Safety in numbers is a lesson the sparrow has to share with us.

The sparrow is vigilant in her goals.  She is always bustling for her food, foraging for her nests, and gathering for her young.  Fastidious and productive, the sparrow is a reminder that idle hands (and idle minds) should be avoided in order to live a full, healthy life.

She is a master of flight, and camouflage, and as such the sparrow teaches us to use our creativity to get around in life – think outside the nest, and be creative in solving our problems.

When I think about the sparrow these words come to mind:

creativity
simplicity
joy
protection
friendliness
community
productivity
chosen by God

These are characteristics I value and will focus my writings around them.  I hope my faithful CaringBridge readers will stick with me as I move on to a new chapter in my life.


4 comments:

  1. Check out Tanya Tucker's song "Two Sparrows In a Hurricane" ... it's a great song ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written. I look forward with anticipation to following your new blog. Would you mind if I shared your sparrow blog with my Wed. evening Bible Study class? You did a really nice job with it! Praising God for NED and praying He continues to bless your family!
    In Him,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice, I love you! From the day you came into my CCD class to talk about your surgery (do you even remember that??) to having you at Villa to rediscovering you via Holly you have intrigued and inspired me. You were and are always in my thoughts and prayers! You always remind me that God is with me and guiding me and if I am doing things to the best of my ablity that is all He asks. Thanks for being one of my favorite angels! Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have followed your CaringBridge updates for almost 3 years (ever since I helped Laura Peavy organize the Make-A-Wish golf tournament). I have said all along that your writing is so inspiring. I look forward to continued updates, and I'm most definitely sticking right with you as you move on. You, Holly, and your family remain in my daily thoughts and prayers.
    Launie Cunningham

    ReplyDelete