Wednesday, March 14, 2012




It is time for the 4th Annual Blessing of the Birds! We will be celebrating this heart warming event On April 13th and 14th. We are honored to be partnering with Great Clips of Middle Georgia to raise awareness about childhood cancer and to raise funds for Jay’s HOPE.   Some of our Jay's HOPE kiddos will get to shave my head at the Great Clips on Hartley Bridge Road on April 13!

I will begin by telling you the story of the Blessing of the Birds.


Blessing of the Birds

Holly lost her hair for the first time in 2009 as a first grader. She wanted to toss it out in the yard so the birds could use her soft hair to make their nests. She learned about this from her kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Lengel. Holly said something like this.…“the mama birds will feel blessed to find my hair and use it to make a soft nest for their babies“. We did in deed gather up all of her hair and toss it outside in the early spring of 2009.




Her hair grew back in the summer and autumn to a cute little pixie type of hair style. Our Holly was very proud of her hair.



Not long after her first chemo post relapse (October 2009) I sat in the bathroom with her while she bathed. Her freshly grown hair floated on the water mixing in with the bubbles. Holly saw my tears when her hair came out in clumps in my hands as I shampooed her hair.


I said "my God, how could this happen to my baby again." Holly said "Don't be sad Mommy, it is only hair it will grow back." I gathered up all of Holl's hair from the tub and all of the hair that came out over the next 24 hours and put it safely in a ziplock bag.




Many times Holly heard from various people that "it is only hair it will grow back". Our smart Holly said to me one day "Mommy, if it is only hair and it will grow back than shave yours." My response came quickly and easily, "you are right, go get the razor." We stood in the bathroom all five of us together and shaved my head. Holly, Mike, and my mom all helped, Mimi watched.




When our friend, Brian Ernst, relapsed he had a difficult time loosing his hair again. I shared Holl's Blessing of the Birds story with his family. Holly spoke of it herself to Brian.  Brian was a wonderful young man and it so unfair that he is gone. He was so strong and kind in front of the kids on the floor...Anyway, our Holly said to Brian "it is recycling". Brian laughed and said "this kid is amazing". Brian was amazing too.

I saved some of Holly's hair just in case she was not here with us for the Blessing of the Birds 2011. I would still be able to scatter some of her beautiful hair outside for the birds with her watching from heaven. Well, my friends, it is now time for the Blessing of the Birds 2012 and I am more thankful every day that Holly is here to lead the way!



We would love to have you join us at any Great Clips in Middle Georgia for the 4th Annual Blessing of the Birds - 2012. Great Clips is going to donate $1 for every hair cut on April 13th and 14th to Jay’s HOPE. I ask that you take some of your hair clippings home and scatter them in your yard to bless the birds. Please remember to pray for the survivors, the warriors, and the angels.  If you can not join us at Great Clips but would like to make a donation you can send it to:
Jay's Hope
1157-B Forsyth Street
Macon, Georgia 31201
Please write Blessing of the Birds in the memo section of your check.


Matthew Chapter 10:29-31

-Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. "But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. "So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

Jesus taught His disciples to have confidence in God's love. The God who cares for all of His creation, even the insignificant sparrow, certainly He cares for His children. God knows how many hairs fell from Holly's head and he knows how many she has now. Our blessings are abundant.

2 comments:

  1. janice you are so brave. you are such an inspiration to me. when i ready to murder my 4 grandchildren, i sit down with a glass of wine aand count my blessings. my grandchildren think i'm crazy when i go from steamiing to smiling. i got the new material, i don't like it as well as the first but it will have plenty of prayers in it. i will be there to hear the bird story if there is anyway possible. may God's healing hands remain on your family. love patie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice everytime this TIME of year comes around I smile, I cry and I am Blessed to know you all through Caring Bridge and FB. Holly's Faith and Love for all things touches my heart. I have already done my devotions and Bible reading this morning and am touched again by all of you and your Love. May the Blessing of the Birds go on forever and continue to touch those who are losing their hair. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete